“Rigorously quantify the safety of sensing, perception, reasoning and guidance within autonomous systems.”
Expert consulting, statistical
Automotive safety is driven by international standards and regulations. For automotive electronic systems, the ISO 26262 standard drives Functional Safety for electrical and electronic systems since 2011. ISO 26262 has been absorbed by the automotive controls, software and electronics community for design and validation of electronic systems for Functional Safety, ensuring the release of safe automotive electronic systems to the public.
The problem – Safety of Autonomous Driving systems
The high complexity of autonomous driving (AD) systems and the complexity in validating AD for production release
- wide range of operating conditions, including varying weather & traffic laws;
- interactions with their surroundings, including other vehicles, pedestrians and complex built environments;
- perception for full reliable identification of the operating environment;
- trajectory planning and execution for navigation of the environment.
The draft standards ISO 21448 ‘Safety of the Intended Functionality’ (
For autonomous vehicles to be accepted by the public, the industry must achieve the highest levels of safety and reliability. Sensmetry provides consultancy services to companies navigating the complex space of autonomous system safety and validation. We provide guidance to companies as they navigate this complex task by
- an independent review of existing AD safety strategies and implementations;
- conception and development of company AD safety strategies from top down for new AD products and systems.
Sensmetry is also building a service for rigorous statistical testing of autonomous perception, planning and control subsystems, in order to independently quantify their performance characteristics and failure rates.